Sunday, November 9, 2008

5 parts excitement:1 part nerves

I have finally packed my bags, which feels like the final step before leaving for Kenya, even though I have a few last minute errands to run tomorrow. I have spent the past few days doing all things Vermonty: hiking Mt. Mansfield, pizza with the Lewis family, enough Ben and Jerry's to last a lifetime, and Penny Cluse tomorrow! My belly is full with my last serving of Pat Brown Sunday morning pancakes, for a few years, and I am feeling very very ready to go!

In between the abundance of unknowns, this is what I know:

I know that I fly out of Burlington early on Tuesday and train for a day in Philly. On Wednesday I'll take a bus with 42 other PC volunteers to JFK airport. We will fly through Amsterdam to Nairobi (I will soon be able to say that I've been to Europe...kinda). I know that I will spend the first few months at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro living with a Kenyan family, learning Swahili, and doing my best to soak up enough knowledge to be an effective Kenyan educator.

We arrive during the rainy season, so it will be a rainy 75-85 degrees during the day, and down to 40-65 at night. I know that I am supposed to bring mud boots (I love mud). I know that I will not have great internet access for these first two months, and I may or may not have a cell phone.

After the two months, assuming that I pass the Swahili language test, I know that I will be 'sworn in' as a PC volunteer, and will move to the site that I will work and live at as a biology and/or chemistry and/or physics teacher for two years.

I know that when I come back I'll be 25 (hellooo quarter-life crisis), which I'm sure seems like a much bigger deal to me now then it will when I return.

I know that I will come back with some idea of how to play the Ukulele I just got!

As I told my Aunt's fourth grade class, I cannot wait to see the Kenyan plants and animals: giraffes, hippos, impalas, zebra, pangolin (look these up...they are wicked cool), the famous wildebeest migrations, and baobab trees.

I know that I don't know much, but enough to be 5 parts excited, and just a little nervous!

Carly

3 comments:

Ande said...

Pennie is purring and Butchy is meowing. Bon Voyage! Have fun!
Love, A&J&P&B

Anonymous said...

Carly - BIG storm coming in tomorrow AM - snow - wind - rain - we miss you - I have read a few other Kenya blog posts so have learned a bit about your group - Maluhia!

MA and POPS

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carly, this adventure is so wonderful and it is making feel VERY old since I remember the day you were born in Burlington the night of Spring Fling! It's been 2 weeks since you left. Hope you are happy and learning lots. Love, Ann Miser and Keith, who is still asleep this morning. P.S.The myna(sp?) birds here in Hilo are calling for you ( :