Monday, March 2, 2009

Catching Up

Some more Kenya tidbits since I wrote the last one (I write it ahead of time, then can post it whenever the internet is working, so yesterday's was really my life a month ago)

- I am now teaching physics, chemistry, biology, AND agriculture...
-There is a family of bats in the Form 1 classroom. They chatter the whole time I am teaching
-Lately, there has been a group of donkeys that wake me up in the early early morning hours hee-hawing
-I have been running a little with my students during cross-country. I miss running SO much
-I MIGHT be running a marathon in Mt. Kenya national park. I'm crossing my fingers that it will happen!
-I think the pig population is increasing; I keep seeing more and more of them
-I eat WAY too much peanut butter, but it is sooo good
-I have discovered the art of making fudge. How did I not learn this earlier...it is delicious!
-I have also discovered a place that makes yogurt. It is cheap and oh so good
-Is it sad that my primary motivation for shaving my legs is so that I cannot feel the flies land on them?
-The choo roaches are getting gutsy, they no longer go into hiding when you turn the light on
-There is a new puppy in my compound. It is super cute, but there were a few VERY long nights of puppy cries
-My new favorite kiswahili word is 'parachichi' (avocado)
-I am continuously amazed by how generous and welcoming many of the Kenyans are...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

carly - you go girl - be the best friggin' duck you can be - engaged - colorful - and friendly! pops

saradod said...

oh, i hope, i hope that the marathon works out. that would be so much fun. a puppy! i wish there was some way that you could send pictures over the internet. you paint such vivid pictures with your words, but it still would be cool to see the real places.

MikesTrips said...

Greetings from the New North End! You got it, from Burlington VERMONT! I have been following blogs of others recently arrived (Nov) in Kenya for about two months and just stumbled on yours. I am a RPCV (India 1965-67)... with a keen interest in Kenya. More on that some other time. WOW! near Amboseli. Well, nice to make your acquaintance. We had two inches of wet late winter slushy snow yesterday. Wish I could send a snowball your way. mike@burlingtonvermonthomes.com

Anonymous said...

Carly! I love reading your updates and am so glad that you are doing well. I also agree that you paint wonderful pictures of the world that you are living in. Take in everything, and give back everything you can. Rock it, like I know only you can! I'll keep my fingers crossed on the marathon as well!

MikesTrips said...

Carly- I've been missing your posts. I guess you've been studying hard for the language proficiency test and getting use to your routines. Back here in Burlington, the robins arrived last weekend, the snow is gone except from the most shaded spots, it's been typical weather - warm some days with tantalizing whispers of spring-to-come, but then cold and damp... all as usual. Describe your situation and bring us nto the "know" of what it's like being on the edge of Amboseli. I for one and really interested to know.Best, Mike@BurlingtonVermontHomes.com

MikesTrips said...

Learned yesterday my wife Estelle Maartmann-Moe knows your Dad. Small world, huh?