Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baby elephants

Just a quick update to assure you that I am alive and well! I am in Nairobi for some more Peace Corps training (hence the access to internet). I am not entirely sure how to update the last month or so since the last posting. I can officially say that I have completed my first term as a secondary high school teacher in kenya! It is a really amazing feeling. The last few weeks of the term were incredibly taxing. If you have talked to my parents you probably know a little more about the situation. Basically I have been fighting for my rights, equality, and respect as a woman in the work place. It is challenging, but I am convinced that I will only come home a stronger woman; watch out! I have spent the past week reflecting on how I treated the entire situation, and I am energized (thanks to PC volunteer bonding time) to make the entire situation a more positive one. I will describe more in a following post when I get my act together to write something decent.

For now, here are some more Kenya tidbits. It my journal I call it 'meaningless conversation' (thanks jack):
-Today I had the opportunity to watch orphaned baby elephants get fed. It was amazing. I also got farted on by a baby elephant....again, amazing (it a smelly sort of way). And saw a baby rhino. It didn't even come up to my knees!
-Some days when I wake up, I forget that I am 'different' from the rest of the people in my town, until someone reminds me...usually no less than 5 minutes from leaving my house. Usually it is with the 'mzungu' or 'how are you' chants. This is my favorite one that occurred on the way to school :
Standard 5 student: Good morning madam
Me: Good morning
student: Are you sick?
Me: Hapana, kwa nini? (no, why?)
student: kwa sababu (because) your face LOOKS sick
Me: Kwa sababu, sitoki Namanga, sitoki Kenya (because I am not from Namanga, I am not from Kenya)
-I FINALLY have furniture, which means no more lassos on the floor
-Namanga, like most parts of Kenya these days is having an extreme water shortage. I have been ok so far, but have been changing my lifestyle to use even less water.
-My students want to know if Tupac really is dead. Any insight?
-I have finally ventured out to go running every sunday. It is probably the best decision that I have made. If I go early enough I can just see the tip of Kilimanjaro.
-Nyama Choma (roast meat) is my favorite version of Kenyan meat
-I had a week off from school before nairobi, which means LOTS of reading, cooking, and running time. I also finally got the little boy across the way to smile at me. We played peek-a-boo among the lines of laundry hanging to dry.

1 comment:

MikesTrips said...

Hi Carly- Yep, your Dad caught me up a bit this past week. I had suspected you have limited internet time. He mentioned the tussle (if you can call it that) over male supremacy... a Maasai thing, I suppose. Be the self-sufficient, confident mazungu and respect will be sure to follow. Burlington weather was excellent this week... in the 50s, clear skies, buds showing on trees and my wife had me spreading black compost over her extensive flower beds out here at Appletree Point this weekend. I lived in an extremely arid area during PC in India (11 incles in two years) and can well imagine what it is like for you. Are there aquifers to draw on? Anyway, a Burlingtonian other than your family and friends is interested in your activities and wellfare. Could you use some textbooks? If yes, what level? I am collecting elementary/middle school level books for another member of your group. Best to you, Mike@BurlingtonVermontHomes.com